The reason that the divorce rate stays so high in the United States is that there are many different reasons that people decide to end their marriages. No two situations are exactly alike. You may feel like your marriage is stable, and it may be for years, but it could fall apart eventually. You need to make sure you’re ready if that happens, as it’s a complex legal process and you need to protect your future.
To start, let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that people split up:
- They run into problems with money, such as not having enough to pay the bills or having conflicts over different spending habits.
- One person is not faithful to the marriage and starts a second relationship. In some cases, both people do so.
- They simply argue too much. All couples argue at times, but when that’s the only thing happening, it erodes the marriage.
- They have trouble with intimacy. It may disappear from the marriage entirely.
- They change significantly. Young people may see serious personality changes as they grow up. Older couples may see physical changes, like sickness or weight gain.
- The marriage does not meet their expectations. They want something that the other person is not able to provide or is unwilling to provide.
- They never really were prepared to be married in the first place. They feel like it was a mistake, or they don’t know how to adapt.
No matter why you decide to get divorced, it is important to take the time to consider all of your legal options.